Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Q&A with a Library Student Worker: Melvil D. Sloth

Melvil D. Sloth is a first year student and new student worker at CSP Library. He is a unique face around campus and is paving the way in higher ed for sloth students everywhere!


Snack break
To get to know Melvil candidly, we asked him a series of "speed round" questions before delving into the "deep" stuff. We asked him to answer the following questions with the first thing that popped into his head:

Biggest pet peeve: Anything that requires me to move quickly (deadlines, fire drills, alarm clocks, needing to be on time…)

Favorite comfort food: Pineapple and arugula pizza! Try it!

Favorite movie: Any superhero movie! I marvel at their physical strength. Did you know that a sloth only has 25% body muscle? The average adult male is 42%, but superheroes are closer to 54%!

What song is stuck in your head right now? “It’s a small world after all, it’s a small, small world!” There - now it’s stuck in YOUR head too!

Tell me one weird fact about yourself: I don’t sleep as much as people think I do--only about 10 hours per day. That’s what most college students sleep anyway (or wish they could), or so I hear.

Now, we'll get into those "deep" questions:


Tell us a little bit about your hometown.
I’m originally from Santarem, Brazil, but moved to the Como Park area of St. Paul as a young sloth. I love the big trees in Como Park and being so close to Chloe at the Como Zoo. I like to keep up with my sloth friends via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends-of-Chloe-the-Sloth/135441889830583. Sometimes I browse the pictures and videos for hours… maybe that’s just because I’m a bit of a slowpoke…

What drew you to Concordia?
I love the diversity that Concordia, St. Paul has! Even though I am a bit of a non-traditional student, I feel at home with Concordia’s student body. I like that CSP is an urban campus! Even though I practically live in the library, it’s pretty cool that I could just hop on the Green Line and explore both downtown Minneapolis and Saint Paul. Luckily the train comes every 10-15 minutes, so if it takes me a while to get to the station I won’t have to wait too long for the next train! The average walking pace of a human is about 3 miles per hour. My average pace is 6-8 feet per minute or about 1/10th of a mile per hour--so if you see me walking around the neighborhood, please stop and give me a ride!

What are you majoring in?  Yikes! That’s a scary question! When do I have to decide that? I am interested in so many different things. Maybe art (since I like to take pictures), or biology (something in the animal sciences), or communications (I’ve recently discovered that I love being on social media!), or… I guess I’m undeclared right now...


What do you like about working in the CSP library?
Unlike many sloths, I would describe myself as a people person. I always have a smile on my face and love to meet new people. The library is full of students studying and meeting up with their friends. I love being in the midst of such a hub of learning and socializing on campus. As an extra perk, I get a sneak peak at all the new books and first dibs on required readings that my professors put on reserve at the library. Besides hanging around at the Circulation Desk to help students check out books, my favorite task is supervising shelving duties since I get a free ride around the library on a book cart!

What are you currently reading?
I’m making my way through Soccernomics: Why England Loses, Why Spain, Germany, and Brazil Win, and Why the U.S., Japan, Australia—and Even Iraq—Are Destined to Become the Kings of the World’s Most Popular Sport, by Simon Kuper. You might know that soccer is a really, really big deal in Brazil. And even though I'm not very good at playing (with my short legs, I can't run fast enough to keep up to the ball), I absolutely L-O-V-E soccer! This book is an entertaining and analytical discussion of the game I love, even if I find it hard to understand the statistics they talk about in it. An easy way to describe the book is that Soccernomics is to soccer what Moneyball is to baseball. Sadly though, I already have so much homework that I don’t have much time to read for fun right now...

We are enjoying Melvil's spunk and the energy he brings to the Library (surprising for a sloth...)! He has taken over the Library's Twitter feed @CSPlibrary, so make sure to watch for his tweets! We are also starting a "Melvil Fan Club." Visit the Library for fan club flair (coming soon!) and free hugs from Melvil!